Where can I take College Credit Plus classes?

College Credit Plus (CCP) courses may be offered at your high school. You may also travel to the college where you’ve been admitted or enroll in one or more online courses offered by that college. In some cases, students decide to take CCP courses at both their high school and at the college of their choice. The choice is yours!

Does the Intent to Participate apply to any CCP format (i.e. at my high school, at the college, online)?

Absolutely! The CCP Intent to Participate applies to CCP in any format. It does not limit you. For example, if you signed the Intent to Participate because you wanted to take a CCP class at your high school and then you decided to take the class on the college campus instead, your Intent to Participate would enable you to do that. Of course, you still have to meet all of the eligibility requirements for the class, regardless of the location it is offered.

What courses are available through College Credit Plus?

Once you’re admitted to a college for College Credit Plus, you may take any course in the college’s course catalog that is not remedial or religious, and that applies toward a degree or professional certificate, in a subject area in which you are college-ready. Our College Pathway Advisors will work with you and your school counselor to ensure that all of your high school requirements are met. Once those requirements are completed, you have the ability to explore classes that fit your personal interests.

Can I take courses during the summer?

Yes. The College Credit Plus Program includes courses taken during the summer term. The summer term will apply as the first term of the next school year. If you want to participate during a summer term, you must submit your Intent to Participate to participate early enough (between February 15 and April 1) to apply and gain admission to the college and register for course(s) in the spring. WSCO’s summer term typically begins in early June.

How do I earn high school credit by taking college courses?

College Credit Plus allows high school students to earn college credit and apply that credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Successful completion of a three or more credit-hour college course will result in 1.0 Carnegie unit earned at the high school. This means you could complete a three credit hour course in one term (either an 8 week term or 16 week semester) at a college instead of taking a one-year course at your high school for 1.0 Carnegie unit.

Can I still play sports or participate in extracurriculars at my high school as a CCP student?

Yep, you can absolutely continue your involvement in sports or other extracurriculars. Our CCP advisors will work with you to create a schedule that is tailored to your after school activities. We work hard to make sure that students are able to complete their daily courses with ample time to travel back to their high school for activities.

How does College Credit Plus impact athletic eligibility?

If you’re a student athlete, you must remain eligible in accordance with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) bylaws. To be eligible, students must pass five, one credit courses or the equivalent per grading period with the high school and college courses combined. Most College Credit Plus courses taken during a semester will equal one Carnegie unit, allowing students to earn more than the required five for athletic eligibility. Please check with your school counselor to ensure that the course work you are taking is compliant with OHSAA.

Guidelines for Student Athletic Eligibility - Ohio High School Athletic Association’s eligibility criteria for College Credit Plus students who want to participate in sports.

If I take CCP courses while in high school, will I be considered a first-time freshman or a transfer student after I graduate from high school and enroll in college?

This is a great question. Generally, colleges will determine your status based on when you graduate from high school. If you graduate from high school in the spring and immediately enroll in college the following fall, you would be considered a freshman at most institutions from an admissions and student life perspective. That means that you would be considered for freshman scholarships, attend freshman orientation, and live in freshman housing. Yes, your transfer credits could potentially give you an academic status beyond that of a typical first-year student (some CCP students have enough credits to have junior status!), but you would still be attending college for the first time since graduating high school, so the benefits of freshman residence life and programming would be available to you. Check with the college/university that you’ll be attending to verify their individual policy and procedures.