Proud to Serve Our Veterans

At Washington State College of Ohio, we welcome the men and women who have served in the U.S. military. As a Veteran, you’ll find a number of specialized services to meet your needs including individual advising, converting military education to college credit, and connecting with other Veterans on campus. Plus, you’ll benefit from specialized skills development and career training opportunities.

Are you seeking a college degree? Job training? Maybe you're not sure what's the best way to use the skills you gained serving in the military. We can help. Years of military training can equal potential earned credit towards a degree or certificate program. We can also help connect you with a wide variety of educational assistance provided by the Veterans Administration (VA) - including the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill®, Transfer of Benefit, and Veterans Vocational Rehab. For more information on the GI Bill®, go to

New VA Requirement for Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) Recipients

Post-9/11 GI Bill® students attending Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) facilities who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify enrollment at the end of each month. This applies to IHL students with terms starting on or after December 17, 2021.


For a quick and easy experience, the VA highly recommends using text message verification. When your enrollment is processed by the VA, you will receive a text message from the VA to opt into text message verification.

  • Reply “YES” to opt-in. You will receive a text confirming you have opted in.
    • The text message link will expire in 14 days. After that, you will be automatically enrolled in email verification.
  • If you reply “NO” or cannot receive texts, you will be automatically enrolled in email verification.


Text: On the last day of each month, you will receive a text message requesting enrollment verification for that month.

  • Reply “YES” to verify your enrollment.
    • If you don’t reply within 6 days, the conversation will close and you will need to call the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to verify you r enrollment.
  • If your enrollment status has changed, reply “NO.” Please contact your School Certifying Official (SCO) to ensure your enrollment record with VA has been adjusted.

Email: If you opted out of text messages and/or have enrolled in email verification, on the last day of each month, you will receive an email requesting enrollment verification for that month.

  • Select “Yes, my enrollment is the same” to verify your enrollment.
    • If you don’t select a response within 14 days, the conversation will close and you will need to call the ECC to verify your enrollment.
  • If your enrollment status has changed, select “No, my enrollment has changed.” Please contact your SCO to ensure your enrollment record with VA has been adjusted.


If you verify enrollment each month and still qualify to receive MHA and/or kicker benefits, your payments will continue uninterrupted.

**If you fail to verify for two consecutive months, your MHA and/or kicker will be placed on hold. You will need to call the ECC to verify your enrollment and have your payments released.

For more information visit

Getting Started: A Guide to Enrolling
  1. Apply for your VA Education Benefits here. (If you have already applied for your benefits and have a Certificate of Eligibility, please skip to step 2.) Once the VA has determined your benefit eligibility, they will mail your official Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to you. You will then need to provide a copy of your COE to the school certifying official (SCO). Please note: It can take up to 30 days for the VA to process your education claim, so planning ahead is important. Starting 6-8 weeks before the semester starts is advised.
  2. Request your Joint Service Transcript (JST) and all transcripts from previously attended colleges. If you have attended another college or colleges, please have the official transcripts sent to the WSCO Records Office. Use one of the following links below to request your Joint Service Transcript:
  3. Complete an Admission Application for WSCO by visiting the Apply page. After you apply, please have your official high school transcript/high school equivalency (such as a GED) sent to the Admissions Office. Once that documentation is received, Admissions will send your acceptance letter via email and mail to your home address. After you get your email/letter, make sure to contact the Admissions Office for an initial admission appointment.
    *If you need help with any part of the admissions process, please contact 740.568.1900 or
  4. Apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing a FAFSA here. Completing a FAFSA will determine your eligibility for federal student aid such as grants and loans. If you are eligible for federal student aid, it can be combined with your VA education benefits. It is always a good idea to apply for federal student aid, just in case there are delays in the VA benefit process.
    *If you need help with any part of the financial aid process, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 740.376.0257 or
  5. Provide acceptable proof of military service to the SCO. Some examples of acceptable proof of military service includes:
    • DD-214/215 – Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
    • DD-256 – Discharge Certificate (for members of the Guard & Reserves)
    • NGB Form 22/22a – Report of Separation and Military Service (for members of Army National Guard & Air National Guard)
      *If you need replacement copies of any of these documents, please visit: here.
  6. Have you used VA education benefits at another school? If so, you’ll need to complete VA Form 22-1995 (for Veterans) or VA Form 22-5495 (for Dependents). These forms can be found on the VA website or you can pick one up from the Records Office.
  7. Meet with your advisor to register for classes. Your advisor will help set the path to your degree goal and make sure you stay on track. Once you have registered, complete the Veteran Benefit Authorization Form to request that your classes be certified by the SCO. This form will need to be filled out each semester that you’re enrolled if you want to use your education benefits.
    *If you have any questions regarding your VA education benefits, please contact Heather McCullough at 740.568.1904 or at
Educational Benefits

Spouses & Dependents
Chapter 35

Are you wanting to use GI Bill Chapter 35 Veteran's Survivors/Dependents Benefits? WSCO needs your Veteran’s DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility to complete certification. To get started, please contact Heather McCullough, Veterans Certifying Official (located in Student OneStop) at 740.885.5663 or

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607

Those receiving VA educational benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 1607 are required to verify enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs at the end of each month.

Veterans can verify their enrollment one of three ways:

  1. Log into the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) website at:
  2. Call 1-877-823-2378 (automated system)
  3. Call 1-888-442-4551 (to speak with someone)

*Monthly attendance must be verified the last day of the month.

Resources for Veterans

Veterans Job Search

You can count on WSCO to help you in the classroom and beyond. When you’re ready to think about your next steps after college, contact our Career Services office for resume and job search assistance at 740.568.1930. Oh, and did we mention that we give Veterans priority access to meet with employers at our annual job fair? Yep, we’re here for you.


Veterans Club

It’s nice to know people that can relate to your military experience. That’s why we encourage you to get involved in the the Veterans Club at WSCO.

Get Involved

For more information

Heather McCullough

Veterans Certifying Official

Heather McCullough
Assistant Registrar/VA Certifying Official